Au Gratin potatoes are delicious and there is no doubt about it. But, all of the peeling and slicing can be a bit much. There is an easier way. A quick stop to Trader Joe’s this New Year and the family will have a nice, warm side dish.
Trader Joe’s carries fresh frozen sliced red potatoes with the skin on perfectly seasoned. They are wonderful in potato salad baked crisp, but also as a base for an Au Gratin dish. Rachel Ray calls these potatoes the “best breakfast potatoes” around.
The best part of the potatoes is that they come with a packet of fresh, frozen chopped onions and bell peppers to be added after baking the potatoes. For New Year’s Day try these potatoes aside some spicy chili for a wonderful after New Year’s Eve treat.
New Year Cheesy Potato Ingredients:
- Serves 8
- 1 bag of Frozen Roasted Potatoes (Trader Joe’s only)
- 1 packet of chopped onions and bell peppers (included in potato package)
- 1 bag of Sharp Cheddar Cheese (TJ’s only)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of heavy cream
1. Roast potatoes according to package instructions and set vegetable packet to the side to defrost.
2. In a sauce pan combine 1 package of sharp cheddar cheese, olive oil and heavy cream. Stir over medium heat until a cheesy sauce is thickened. Stir continually.
3. Once potatoes are roasted and crisp (not soft) pour potatoes into a casserole dish and mix in defrosted onions and peppers. No seasoning is necessary as they are already perfectly seasoned.
4. While cheese sauce is hot pour over potato mixture in the casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
5. Cheese should look hot and bubbly while potatoes become slightly brown on top.
- Real bacon bits
- Sour cream
- Chopped chives
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Habenero hot sauce