Four people were killed and several injured in a shooting in central Vienna on Monday in what the Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz called a “repulsive terror attack”.
Vienna police confirmed that around 8:00pm shots were fired in the Seitenstettengasse area.
They said there were “several perpetrators” with “rifles” and added there were a total “six different shooting locations”.
Police confirmed that one person had been killed and several others injured, including a police officer.
One of the attackers had also been killed, police said.
The mayor of Vienna then confirmed that a second person had died from the injuries.
“After this terrible crime… a second woman has died of her injuries,” Vienna Mayor Michael Ludwig told public broadcaster ORF.
By Tuesday morning the death toll had risen to four.
“Sadly a fourth victim has died in a Vienna hospital, this brings the the death toll to two men and two women,” an interior ministry spokesman told AFP.
At 11:20pm Vienna police said their operation was “still active” and urged people to stay home and take shelter and not use public transport.
Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said a manhunt was underway across the city and beyond. He called the “attackers heavily armed and dangerous.”
“We have brought several special forces units together that are now searching for the presumed terrorists,” he said. “I am therefor not limiting it to an area of Vienna because these are mobile perpetrators, Nehammer told ORF broadcaster.