All of Drayton Manor’s zoo animals were said to be safe after a blaze ripped through the theme park.
Flames higher than nearby homes were pictured on social media as firefighters from across Staffordshire rushed to the attraction, near Tamworth.
he blaze was first reported late on Tuesday night, December 15, sparking a warning to nearby residents to keep their doors and windows closed.
Unconfirmed reports suggested it began in the Thomas Land area of the historic theme park, run by the Bryan family for 70 years before it was sold earlier this year.
In a statement, Drayton Manor confirmed all its animals were accounted for.
— Paul Robinson🏎🏎 (@paulrobinson100) December 15, 2020
It said: “We can confirm we currently have a number of fire crews on site at the park.
“Since being made aware of the blaze, we have been in close contact with Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, who have advised us the situation is now, thankfully, under control.
“No-one has been injured and all of the Park’s animals are safe. It is not yet safe for us to survey the damage.
“For now, we echo the advice to local residents to keep doors and windows closed, and thank all those involved in the swift and effective response.”
Staffordshire Fire Service sent a string of crews from across the south of the county. The operation was expected to continue for much of the night.
It tweeted: “Fire crews from Tamworth, Mercia, Chase Terrace, Burton on Trent, Cannock and Barton Under Needwood are currently dealing with a large fire within the grounds of @DraytonManor .
“Please keep windows and doors closed.”