Walgreens is offering a third dose of the Pfizer and Moderna coronavirus vaccine to certain immunocompromised people.
Currently, the Center for Disease Control is recommending the third shot for the moderate to severely immunocompromised. They recommend that you speak with your Dr. before getting the shot. The CDC says that “fully vaccinated immunocompromised people have accounted for a large proportion of hospitalized ‘breakthrough cases,’ and that suggests immunocompromised people are more likely to transmit the virus to household contacts.”
People who are immunocompromised include those who:
- People who have been receiving active cancer treatments for tumors or cancers of the blood.
- People who have received an organ transplant and are taking medications that suppress their immune systems.
- Anyone who has received a stem cell transplant in the last two years.
- Those who are taking immune system suppressing drugs.
- People who have moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency. (Such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
- Anyone with advanced or untreated HIV infection.
- Those who are in active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids.
Walgreens is offering vaccines at select locations. In order to find out about availability, you can check if your state is listed on the website and then create a Walgreens account to find appointments or sign up for updates on vaccines in your area.