As we are getting old, we are experiencing memory lapses and our ability to concentrate decreases. Sometimes, these memory lapses can turn into a far more serious condition and Alzheimer’s disease is one of them. Nowadays, we’re able to purchase various brain supplements that promise the increase of memory and concentration and eventually prevent Alzheimer’s disease. Is that really true, or that’s just a marketing trick used for selling the specific product? The purpose of this article is to discuss the relation between brain supplements and Alzheimer’s which will answer the above mentioned question.
The most common ingredients in brain supplements
In order to discuss the link between supplements and Alzheimer’s it is needed to mention the most frequent ingredients they contain. Before purchasing any brain supplement it is of huge importance to be aware of their formula and what they include. The most common ingredients used in brain supplements are:
- Gingko biloba – is the most common ingredient in brain booster products. It derives from the maidenhair tree and is widely used in Europe for treatment of cerebral insufficiency. A few years ago, scientists discovered that gingko biloba improved mental functioning in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. This ingredient can be found in majority of supplements today including Eureka Intensified Focus.
- Phosphatidylserine (PS) – it is a type of fat found in brain cells and other cells in animals and plants. Moreover, a perennial bestseller, The Memory Cure, reveals that supplements that contain PS could be a good way to prevent Alzheimer’s disease. At first, this compound was taken from cows’ brains and today it is extracted from soy. Just like with gingko biloba, since the studies showed this ingredient could have beneficial effect in preventing Alzheimer’s and dementia, it is used in most brain booster products today e.g. NITROvit.
- Choline – is found in many foods e.g. liver, meat, fish, egg yolk etc. Choline is crucial for brain development of a fetus. Some studies discovered that individuals who got high levels of choline in early stages of life proved to be more intelligent later in life and have better mental abilities. On the other hand, deficiency of choline is associated with numerous neurological disorders.
- Vitamins – especially Vitamin B12. Deficiency of this vitamin leads to memory loss and confusion while high intake of this vitamin improves memory and enhances our concentration and focus.
- Vinpocetine – is a synthetic version of a periwinkle plant and drugs with this ingredient are already approved in Europe for treatment of dementia. On the other hand, products with this ingredient are only sold as supplements in the United States.
- Bacopa – derives from the Asian plant Bacopa monnieri and has been used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine as a brain tonic.
This is just a small portion of ingredients used in numerous brain supplements.
What does science say?
Oxford professor David Smith and team of scientists from the University of Oxford conducted a study whose primary aim was to observe the impact of brain supplements on brain and prevention of Alzheimer’s disease. The study included 168 patients, all over 70 years of age with memory problems. Some participants received supplements, while other participants received dummy pills. The results of the study showed that brain atrophy was slowed by 70% in people who had high levels of supplements (fish oil and Vitamin B). This study is significant because it is the first proof that Alzheimer’s disease-related brain shrinkage can be prevented. Moreover, Patrick Holford, leading British nutritionist at the Food for the Brain Foundation hails results of this study as it shows again that with right supplements, Alzheimer’s disease is preventable.
What supplements should i use?
Nowadays, we are witnessing the rise of brain booster products’ popularity and there is a wide range of products you can use. These products are beneficial for improvement of overall brain function and are often used by people who study for tough exams, working on a difficult project and elderly to boost the memory. When it comes to what product to choose, in the sea of brain supplements, you should always go for the ones that contain natural ingredients. For example:
Eureka intensified focus
Also called by manufacturer as Study Pills for the Achiever, this supplement is designed for all people who want to improve the brain’s functionality, especially focus and memory. Eureka Intensified Focus is a nootropic supplement that contains natural ingredients (Vitamin B12, gingko biloba etc) and has no recorded side effects. Some benefits of Eureka Intensified Focus are:
Improves blood flow to the brain which positively affects focus and memory. Preserves brain cells. Decreases age-related decline. Improves thinking skills etc. 90-day money back guarantee, confirmed by manufacturer.
This nootropic supplement provides the brain with much-needed nutrients that we don’t take enough through our diet. Moreover, NITROvit improves blood circulation which slows down brain’s aging process, strengthens neurotransmitters, and improves memory, focus, and other cognitive abilities. It is made of natural ingredients, just like Eureka Intensified Focus, like Vitamin B12, Phosphatidylserine and Choline etc.
What to consider when purchasing brain supplements
Here is what you should take into consideration when buying brain booster products in order to have positive results:
Your own budget – some supplements are expensive, and don’t contain natural ingredients which means they could invoke some side effects.
Evidence to support the claims on the label – majority of supplements available in drugstores or online don’t even have the list of ingredients on the label or their website. When you don’t know what is in the supplement, you won’t know whether it would work. Always stick to the products that include natural compounds, list of ingredients on the label or manufacturer’s website.
Some studies did find a link between brain supplements and Alzheimer’s. However, more studies should be conducted to confirm the findings from previous researches and provide useful information about the most effective ingredients. It is important to look for products with natural ingredients e.g. Eureka Intensified Focus or NITROvit and avoid products that don’t have natural compounds.