Fish fumes blamed for allergy death of boy, father says
Fish fumes blamed for allergy death of boy, father says

An 11-year-old boy died in his grandmother’s New York City home after having an allergic reaction to the smell of cooked fish on New Year’s Day.

Camron Jean-Pierre died around 7:30 p.m. on Jan.1 after inhaling the fumes of seafood being cooking by his family, according to a law-enforcement source.

The family says Camron has always suffered from asthma and had a severe allergic reaction to fish. They now want other parents of children with similar allergies to be aware that inhaling the aroma of fish can be deadly.

READ  Health: California moves to declare coffee safe from cancer risk (Report)

“I just want whatever happened to my family not to happen to someone else,” Jody Pottingr, the mother of Cameron Jean-Pierre, told ABC News on Thursday.

Pottingr said her son was first diagnosed with a fish allergy when he was in kindergarten and threw up after being served fish sticks for lunch.

READ  Health: There's an adage in recovery that we can learn from other addicts' mistakes. It's wrong (Report)

When cops arrived at the home on New Years, they say they found Jean-Pierre unconscious and unresponsive after inhaling the smell of fish. Paramedics rushed to help save the boy at Brookdale Hospital but were unsuccessful.

According to ABC News, Jean-Pierre’s father also tried to save his son before he fell into an unconsciousness by connecting him to a nebulizer machine that he always has on him because of his allergies.

READ  Health: Ontario doctors to return to bargaining table after incoming government reaches out (Report)

The medical examiner, however, has yet to determine Jean-Pierre’s exact cause of death.

But a Police Department spokesman said the incident did not appear to be criminal following authorities’ preliminary investigation.

“Cameron was full of life. He was such a great kid,” Pottingr said of her only child.

LEAVE A REPLY