Norway’s Royal Family were forced to intervene after Marius’ relationship was exposed
The royals have even followed Prince Harry’s lead by issuing a stern statement defending Marius Borg Høiby’s girlfriend Juliane Snekkestad, much like the Duke of Sussex’s unprecedented intervention early on to his relationship with Meghan.
Like the Duchess of Sussex, Ms Snekkestad was enjoying a glamorous career in the spotlight when she met her now-boyfriend.
She is a working model, with her portfolio showing numerous pictures of the 5ft 6 brunette in bikinis and designer dresses.
But the Norwegian royals were forced to wade in when their relationship emerged and it was discovered Ms Snekkestad had previously posed topless for Playboy magazine.
The royals described Juliane as “hardworking” in a strongly-worded statement as they hit back against an article published by Norwegian magazine Se of Hor.
The statement, issued on behalf of the Royal House of Norway in April, said: “We know her as hardworking and able, and she does not deserve this kind of publicity.
“Marius Borg Høiby has said on many occasions that he does not wish any media attention on his private life. He is grateful that the Norwegian press has largely respected that wish.”
There is no doubt that Juliane’s modelling career, which saw her pose for the glamour magazine in its May 2017 edition with just a radio to protect her modesty, would have raised eyebrows among royal circles in the Scandinavian country.
Norway Royal Family: Juliane Snekkestad has previously posed for Playboy
We know her as hardworking and able, and she does not deserve this kind of publicity
It was the same when sultry pictures of Meghan Markle, 37, posing in a steamy shoot for a men’s magazine back in July 2013 were unearthed just months before she was due to marry Prince Harry.
Wearing little more than hot pants and a crop top, the shocking pictures of Meghan, then a struggling LA actress, were a far cry from the life she was about to embark on as the Duchess of Sussex.
The Norwegian royals also blasted press interest into Marius’ relationship as a “breach” of the 21-year-old’s privacy after he decided to step away from official royal public duties at the age of 20.
They said: “We consider this publication a breach of privacy, and we are very unhappy with the use of the headline and the layout on the front page.”
Norway Royal Family: Juliane Snekkestad is the girlfriend of Marius
The statement came after Prince Harry, 33, launched his own attack on the public and press for a “wave of abuse” against Meghan just months after their relationship went public.
In a clear sign things were serious between the pair, Prince Harry intervened in November 2016, fearing Meghan she would be hounded the same way as the paparazzi harassed his mother Princess Diana.
His press secretary accused some wings of the media of using “racial overtones” and claimed Meghan had been subjected to a “wave of abuse and harassment”.
The statement added: “Prince Harry is worried about Ms Markle’s safety and is deeply disappointed that he has not been able to protect her.”
Norway Royal Family: Juliane Snekkestad and Marius are now living in London
Marius, 21, is the son of Crown Princess of Norway, Mette-Marit, from her previous relationship Morten Borg before she met the heir to the Norwegian throne.
He was close friends with Juliane before the pair made it official and are said to have moved to London before Christmas.
Just a few weeks ago, Marius posted an intimate picture of him kissing his model girlfriend alongside a love heart caption.
It was the first picture he had posted of their pair together, in a sign things are going from strength to strength.
On the day after the Sunday Express revealed Meghan and Harry were an item, she took to her own Instagram page to post a telling image – two bananas spooning with a smiling face drawn on them, with the caption “sleep tight xx”.
Norway Royal Family: Marius Borg Høiby shared a picture of the couple kissing
When Marius turned 20 the royal court announced he was stepping away from public life and his royal profile was quickly removed from the family’s official website.
On “the basis of his wish to live outside the public eye” a statement said: “’Høiby will not conduct any official activities on the Royal Family’s behalf.”
His mother Crown Princess Mette-Marit also published an open letter on the royal website, where she said: “Marius is, and will continue to be, a vital member of our family.
“He has always had a public role that has been very difficult to define.
“Unlike his siblings, he has no official duties. He won’t have a public role and is not a public person.
“Marius became a symbol for the unusual choice we made when we married.”